Monday, March 12, 2012

The difference between excessive and depressive

Puns in advertising... they are everywhere. Sobrebruary cleverly turns the month of February into one of detox. The classical Movember relates the fad of the mustache in raising awareness of prostrate cancer. Then there's my fave, Taco Tuesday... mostly because it's weekly and food-related.

Source: American Australian


What I think is amazing is the power of social media, ably turning these trendy causes into something fad-like. I once tried to accomplish Sobrebruary, after one week of excessive bad music, bad clubs and one two many bad McDonald's experiences... only to epically fail about 2 weeks in. What I've learned is that there is the fine line between excessive and depressive in life. And what branding tends to do is support the excessive, a too much too soon sort of approach. And I'm not just speaking of abstaining from liquid products... although, I do hope the "French Paradox" is true and that a glass (maybe two) of red wine a day truly is beneficial. And the Got Milk ad campaigns are just a subtle stroke of genius with their combo of "sex sells and so do celebrities... buy some milk and boost our sales today."

Source: Listal


I am talking about technology and clothing and automobiles. Newer = better. I'm no tech-savvy individual but I do know that, if everyone else is doing it, that's the best campaigning in existence and my interest is automatically spiked. But ethically speaking, is it right to assume that overwhelming a consumer with a product is the right thing to do? Slapping a celebrity on a perfume bottle or in an awful hat, and voila!, its God's gift to mankind!



Now, I can't even remember the last time I saw a Von Dutch hat available for purchase. But I do know that if I had purchased one back in the day, it would be collecting dust in a corner of the garage. Or in its rightful place in a landfill. So much of my disposable income, wasted [insert Tamagotchis, Barbies, and in my later years, alcohol and clothing]. What I am still learning, is how to balance between the excessive and depressive line of finedom, figuring out how much is too much, how little is not enough.

"Everything in moderation!" That's what moms across the globe say. Whether it is in branding or alcohol or eating. And frankly I'm quite tired of seeing Lindsay, Beyonce and Kate in that watch with that dog drinking that brand. But on a side note, it least red wine still is full of antioxidants so I won't be giving that up anytime soon.
Source: Fabulous Buzz (pun intended)

No comments:

Post a Comment